Pension funds are increasingly adopting artificial intelligence (AI) technologies to cut costs, enhance investment returns, and identify potential risks, according to a new report by Mercer CFA Institute. The report highlights the significant challenges that come with implementing AI in pension fund operations. However, it emphasizes that AI has the potential to greatly improve member experience and retirement outcomes.
AI can assist pension fund managers in analyzing vast amounts of data to identify investment opportunities and develop personalized portfolios. With the help of natural language AI tools, funds can scrape data from emails and calls to tailor their marketing strategies based on individual communication styles. AI-powered analysis can also uncover patterns and market sentiments, suggesting unconventional investment opportunities.
Moreover, AI can enable pension funds to consider environmental, social, and governance (ESG) factors, automate middle and back-office operations, and predict member behavior in response to various economic and political circumstances. These advancements can contribute to cost reduction and narrow the gap between passive and active investment strategies.
Despite the benefits, the report acknowledges that AI tools may generate misleading information and highlights the need for robust defenses against cyberattacks and security breaches.
The report also highlights the increasing use of AI in investment markets, particularly in algorithmic and high-frequency trading. The advent of programmable trading revolutionized investment management, and algorithmic trading contributed to a significant share of automated trading in the United States equity market.
Overall, the report emphasizes the transformative potential of AI in pension fund management while acknowledging the challenges and risks that need to be addressed. As AI continues to evolve, pension funds can leverage its capabilities to enhance decision-making, operational efficiency, and member experiences.
– Pension funds are embracing AI to reduce costs and improve investment returns.
– AI can help identify investment opportunities and customize portfolios.
– Natural language AI tools enable personalized marketing based on individual communication styles.
– AI-assisted analysis can uncover market sentiments and suggest unconventional investment opportunities.
– AI can aid in considering ESG factors, automating operations, and predicting member behavior.
– Cybersecurity defenses are crucial due to potential risks associated with AI tools.
– Algorithmic and high-frequency trading have transformed investment management.
– The report highlights the transformative potential of AI in pension fund management while acknowledging the challenges and risks.