OpenAI has recently launched ChatGPT and Google Bard, two large language models that can be used for generating text, translating languages, creating various types of content, and answering questions. To make these models accessible to iOS and Android users, OpenAI has introduced a ChatGPT application for iOS users in the US, with plans to expand to more users. Android users are also in line to receive the application soon. In the meantime, both ChatGPT and Google Bard can be accessed by users on their home screens through shortcuts, without the need to download any additional apps.
To add these language models to the home screen, the process is slightly different for iOS and Android users:
For iOS users:
1. Open the ChatGPT or Google Bard model in Safari.
2. Tap the share button located at the bottom of the Safari screen.
3. Scroll down to find the Add to Home Screen option.
4. Tap on it and customize the name of the shortcut if desired.
5. Tap Add in the top right corner to add the shortcut to your home screen.
For Android users:
1. Open the ChatGPT or Google Bard model in Chrome.
2. Tap the three-dot menu icon located at the top right corner of the Chrome screen.
3. Find and select the Add to Home Screen option from the menu.
4. Customize the name of the shortcut if desired.
5. Tap Add to add the shortcut to your home screen.
The benefits of using these app-like home screen shortcuts are that users have quick access to the language models without the need to download separate applications. The shortcuts function similarly to regular apps and provide easy access to the platforms. However, there are some drawbacks, such as the need to log in to respective OpenAI or Google accounts more frequently, and the user interface not being as optimized as dedicated applications. Despite these limitations, users can still access useful features like Whisper for voice input and choose different GPT models from a drop-down menu.
In conclusion, OpenAI’s launch of ChatGPT and Google Bard has made these language models accessible to iOS and Android users. Although the applications are currently available through home screen shortcuts, OpenAI plans to release a dedicated ChatGPT application for both operating systems. These shortcuts provide convenient access to the models, allowing users to generate text, translate languages, and engage in informative conversations without the need to download additional apps.